peanut oil or other vegetable oil, for frying
2 lbs baking potatoes, like russets
salt, to taste
- Pour oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to reach halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Heat to 325 degrees F, use a deep fry thermometer to determine this.
- While the oil is heating, peel the potatoes and push through a French fry cutter to form uniform sticks.
- As you go, place the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water to release some of the starch and to keep them from browning.
- Dry the potato strips thoroughly, this will keep the oil from splattering.
- Fry the potatoes in batches so the pan isn’t crowded and the oil temperature does not plummet.
- Cook for 3 minutes until they are soft but not browned.
- Remove the potatoes with a long-handled metal strainer and drain on brown paper bags.
- Bring oil temperature up to 375 degrees F.
- Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time for 4 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Drain on fresh brown paper bags then place in a serving bowl lined with paper towels.
- Salt and serve immediately.